Faith Community Church Blog
March 4, 2016
by Dr. Darryl T. Jenkins | March 4, 2016
Webster's definition:Sabbatical is a period of time during which someone does not work at his or her regular job and is able to rest, travel, do research, etc.
The Christian would look at the word, research as studying Scripture, reading Christian books and having extended times of personal communion with God.
Ideas from the book on how do do an extended time of personal communion with God:
1. Ditch the cell phone.
2. Start with NO AGENDA. We need to listen with an open mind to begin to notice where He is leading.
3. Take the first 20-30 minutes to do nothing more than listen. Be quiet, listen with your ears, eyes, mind and heart.
4. Give thanks. List all the things you are thankful for. Write your prayers down. That helps keep your mind focused.
5. If distractions come - pray for them and release them back to him.
6. If you go out for a walk, stroll instead of power walk. Notice all the natural, God-made things around you.
7. If you see something natural of interest, stop and watch it move or just inspect it's beauty and design.
8. Write down all of your observations and ask God to grant you His awareness of what you have just seen.
9. Allow yourself to drop deeper into His presence.
10. If a person comes into your mind, write them a note of why you appreciate them or just pray for them.
11. Ask God to guide where you are going in life. Remember, He may not give you the full plan but just the next few steps.
12. Ask God to help you trust Him for the rest of the plan He has for your life. Thank Him.